Back to reality....

So I've finally come back down from cloud nine and it's time to get back to reality... Just over three weeks after my last post on April 10, my fiancĂ©e and I welcomed our beautiful monster Jayse Anthony into the world. Weighing in at a healthy 4.2kgs, he is nothing short of perfection. Jayse is almost 4 months now and I still cannot believe how quickly time has flown. It still feels like yesterday that I was pacing the floor of the birthing suite at the hospital. And yes labour isn't something I would recommend to everyone. It is nothing short of pure agony. But the reward you get for all your efforts is pure bliss and simply breath taking. Those first few moments with your new bundle of joy leaves you to wonder how on earth you could feel such immense love for a teeny, tiny human you've only just met.





Already motherhood has thrown me a lot of curved balls and it has at times been amazingly overwhelming. But it is by far unlike anything I have ever experiecned in my 24 years and everyday it seems my little man is teaching me how to be a better mum. I've discovered that no amount of baby books can prepare you for the journey of motherhood and that most of the time it's about trusting your gut instinct.

So far the biggest hurdle we've faced has been the ongoing feud between breast and bottle feeding. Many tears were shed over the decision to put our bub on full time formula. The amount of times I got the "breast is best" speech off midwives made me feel, as a first time mum, like I was a failure. But after six weeks of perserverance every feeding session had turned into me physically sobbing from the pain and it was hard to bear. I went to many breast feeding clinics, where all the midwives told me Jayse was "attaching" fine and "it shouldn't be hurting", but by the time my nipples were blistered and had cracks as deep as the Grand Canyon in them I knew something had to change. Yes I had many family members telling me that formula-fed babes turned out no different to breast-fed ones. But it wasn't until a very experienced midwife pulled me aside at a breast feeding clinic one day and told me that it was ok to put Jayse on formula that I felt better about my decision. God bless her!

That got me thinking - have other mums experienced these feelings too?

How many other first time mums had been made to feel like failures because they decided to give their first borns formula?

And could breast really be best when it got me to the point of not wanting to feed my own child because of the severe pain?


My whole experience of motherhood became a whole lot brighter when I decided to formula feed and I want new mums who are going through the same thing to know your not putting your baby at risk in any way by deciding to switch to formula.

Jayse at 1 day and 3 months old

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo love the blog babe! Hey, arch was formula fed and hallie is boob. Formula these days is full of all the goodness a growing baby needs! I don't see any babies dying from having formula ;) whatever works for the mum is the best thing for bub, people put to much pressure on new mums! No wonder some get PND! Love the pic of Jayse, gorgeous boy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem! Yes I can definitely see how some women get PND. I know for me personally there was a week or so where things got extremely difficult. It also affected Scott too because he felt helpless in the situation. The pressure that some midwives can put you under is amazing. Especially for new mums. They make you feel as though it is breastfeeding or nothing! I gave breastfeeding a good go and it didn't work for us. I knew deep down that Jayse would be fine on formula. It was the guilt that got me the most. Did you breastfeed arch at all? It took us a while to get the right formula, but all is good now! I think we are now at the teething stage already! =)

      Delete
  2. Before i became a parent (& in the early days of being a parent), i had such a set idea of what a "good parent" was and what they did. I was determined to do a whole bunch of things because i believed they were the most important things about parenting, and that if i didnt do them then i was an inadequate parent & i was failing my children.

    Now i realise that the most important thing is staying alive & healthy & sane, while keeping the kids fed & clothed & safe - everything else is a bonus!!!

    Jayse is a healthy, vibrant, beautiful baby boy & you are a wonderful mum, who follows her intuition and does the best she can for her baby. When it comes down to it, thats all that really matters! Your doing great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I was exactly the same in having my own ideas of what constituted a good parent and I was determine to stick to those ideas.. Now I realise whatever works works!

      Delete

what are your thoughts?